Food that Takes Us Back: Wise's BBQ


I will always remember Russell Liner, big Russ! We were freshman together on third floor Pressly Hall at Erskine College. Many moons ago now! We both had a love for history and for food. Once in class, Russell who could be a little over the top was in some discussion with a fellow classmate over something. Russell arose with an air of disdain from his desk and said "just hit me, just hit me then". It was at this point, I nailed him in the back with my clip board. It was only years latter that I found out I almost got ejected from the class by Dr. Grier. Whew!



Russell and I had a wonderful dinner with Dr. Fry and his family. They invited us over for dinner one evening. I think Russell and I were a little more exciting than the usually chemistry type students Fry-guy was uses to being around. We had taken his Interim class on the chemistry of photography and become friends with he and his family. We showed up in navy blazers and ties with flowers no less. I think that Mrs. Fry was a little surprised. It was a wonderful meal. Every time I think of tea and lemonade mixed together I think of that day. Miss the Fry Family!



The greatest culinary event in our relationship was his introducing me to Wise's BBQ in Newberry County. Let me take an aside here; I have been informed by the BBQ connoisseur that I need to get my nomenclature correct. There are BBQ "places" and then there are BBQ "houses". Houses being the superlative. To give you some idea of the quality of Wise's, the BBQ connoisseur used it as an example of a BBQ house as he was educating me as to the difference. High praise for a Irdell County boy to give a mustard base restaurant the "house designation".



Oh if you could have met Russell's Dad, that man loved him some BBQ! We had a great time eating and hanging out with Russell's family. Russell and I are still friends today. He works in August, GA and is now a work-out fanatic! We have just got back in touch again. I hope to see him soon and eat some BBQ!




Wise's BBQ is near Kinards, South Carolina between Clinton and Newberry on US 76. It is just on the Newberry county side of the line. In 1989 for $5.25 you got all you can eat pulled pork, smoked chicken, hash with rice, slaw, pickles, and white loaf bread. If you got there early enough you can eat ribs, but these often ran out early. Sweet tea was also included. I went back there a few years ago and to my surprise everything was pretty much the same that I remember it. The price had only gone up to $7.25 a person. Not bad for 15+ years of inflation.



I would have to say this is some of my favorite BBQ!




I remember taking several people during my years at Erskine. Bryan Bult and I had a fun trip there one time, I think Molly Greene went with us. I am sure they hated to see Bryan and I come in there together. I can't remember what Molly thought about it, I am sure she had a good time, she was with Bryan and Kyle. I think my favorite trips there would have to be with Russell and his parents.

Now do not be suprised when you pull up and say, "this is it?" It is not much to look at. Think old church fellowship hall, but you are not there for the decor. The food is what you are there for and what has kept bring many loyal customers back month after month. In the case of Russell's parents, I think it was week after week.


The same family still runs Wise BBQ, at least the last time I was in there, it was started in the early 70's and has been a local favorite for years. They are open from 9:00 AM to 9:30PM Friday and Saturday only. It is worth the trip!


Good Eatings,

The Hungry Preacher




Comments

  1. I know I've heard you talk about Wise's, but I don't think I've ever been there.

    If you don't stop talking about BBQ I'm going to end up in Cola at Maurices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to go that far, Wise's is closer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best BBQ and Ribs around.......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment