Foods that Take Us Back: The Erskine Special!


I understand that Lou and Perry's is no longer the hot spot for Erskine Students. There is now a late night burger joint in Due West! Not to mention a Mexican place, and a Subway. How things have changed in the sleepy village of Due West. The only place you could eat inside the town limits was at an old gas station turned into a eating establishment. The rumor was that the town was against any new restaurants and the only reason they issued the fellow a business licence was that they thought he was going to open a gas station. The food there was good but the place was small. It did not have the pull or appeal of Lou's.

I remember my first trip to Lou and Perry's, I was with Parker Young the Summer before our Freshman year. It was one of the few times I have been there in daylight. He told me to order an Erskine Special. Magic words these were. How often over the next 4 plus years would I utter them with great anticipation. "E Spec, fries extra crispy!" The Erskine Special was simplicity itself. There was no great culinary genius behind it, no special ingredients, no truffle oil or imported cheese. It was simply a half-pound Cheeseburger on Texas Toast with an big handful of fries. It is wonder that more of us have not had some type of bypass surgery due to the ingestion of large amounts of Erskine Specials.

Bryan Bult and I would sometimes double up and eat two Erskine Specials in a row. Now we were both rather big young men who played basketball everyday, then again it was 1 AM in the morning and it was our 4th meal of the day. We probably could have eaten a third, but since we were in college and money was always tight we never did. Besides, you had to save your money to come back in a day or so.

The decor at Lou and Perry's was not much to write about. Simply old style booths along the sides, tables down the middle. There was a private dinning room that I did not know existed until I was a Junior. The back room was a smoked filled game room with a pool table and a row of video poker machines. They added a vestibule at some point and I always wonder how much of my money paid for that addition.

Lou's will always be a special place. We went there all the time. I hate that a new generation of College students will not have the same experience but then again maybe their new place will be just as good for them.

Lou and Perry's is located on Main Street in Honea Path, SC. It is open 24 hours 7 days a week!

Good Eating!

The Hungry Preacher

Comments

  1. Do you remember that nasty little sandwich shop on main street in 1991? That place didn't stay in business very long.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyle, did you know that I ate at Lou's EVERY day (with only 3 exceptions) my Sophomore year?

    I was such a regular in the evenings there, that the waitresses would actually bring me food for free sometimes (if I was out of the "College money" that you mention above).

    Ah, the memories!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment