Lone Star BBQ - Santee, SC



Early Spring of 2004, I was attending the Francis Marion Symposium in Manning, South Carolina. It was a wonderful day of retracing the Swamp Fox's battles in the area and listening to lectures on the Revolutionary. Alright I know many of you just had a collective yawn, but I liked it.


As we drove all over Calhoun, Clarendon and Orangeburg Counties, I was curious about this place we were scheduled to eat; Lone Star BBQ. I had never heard of it. This I thought was odd, I have eaten at most of the well known BBQ joints in the State. Where in the world was Lone Star?


Lunch was one of the highlights of the whole day. Just what you want with a good BBQ place. No fuss, no fancy plates or table settings. Just a stack of plates and a long line of food for your enjoyment.


I have been wanting to get back to Lone Star BBQ ever since. I tried once but got lost! It was an impulse moment. I had my one year old son in the car with me riding around the Columbia area. Everyone else in the family was at the Gamecock Gator game the year we beat them! I had nobly taken babysitting duties for the good of the family. I got lost because I did not remember that while it is called Lone Star BBQ it is not in Lone Star, South Carolina. It is in Santee, right down the road from the State Park. Alas, I had to eat at a Lizard Thicket in Eastover or someplace like that.


Finally, on our way back from a day in Charleston we were able to make it by the Lone Star BBQ. Let me first say, that this is probably not my favorite BBQ. I know some will have different views. It is good solid pork BBQ. What I really want to talk about is Tomato Pie! Now my family who knows me well and my usually disdain for tomatoes will have their interest peaked by this point. Did he say Tomato Pie? Yes and it is marvelous. A big ole plate of gooey goodness. They also had wonderful Rutabagas, a multi-cheese Macaroni Pie, and Fried Chicken that was excellent. The Ribs were alright in my opinion. My daughter loved them. I like my ribs to be more fall off the bone and melt in your mouth. These were much more toothy which is fine and some people prefer. The hash was good over rice. The biggest problem that I had was not enough room to try everything I wanted to. Too many wasted calories on chicken wings at lunch in Mt. Pleasant.


In spite of my body's "full" alarm going off a full 5 minutes before I stopped eating, I had to finish the banana pudding that was dessert. I paid a price with some discomfort, but it was marvelous. Most of the discomfort was from the aforementioned chicken wings. The food was excellent the decor was nice; three old buildings connected together. The kids loved the toys and candies in the Mercantile part of the establishment. They used some Christmas money and each bought a little something.


The Chef was trained at the Culinary Institute of America in NY. Many of you are now very concerned that I have used the word Chef in an article about a BBQ. As my BBQ connoisseur friend from Statesville, NC would say, "That just ain't right!" Yet, it works well at Lone Star BBQ. I think because it is not about chef food but rather good food.


On leaving, I was charged to dispose of a soiled diaper. Unable to find a trashcan outside, I started to make my way to the back and the dumpster. I noticed a screen window by the kitchen and caught the chef's attention. I ask if I could throw away the diaper in his dumpster. Now I know you are thinking "Why did you ask?" and "What is he going to say, No?" First, we should always show good manners, separates us from infidels and white trash. Second, of course he said yes, but the way he said it says a lot about the attitude of the Lone Star. He said, "Sure, go ahead, make yourself at home."


Lone Star BBQ is located on State Park Rd. in Santee, SC. It is really easy to find just follow the signs to Santee State Park. It will be on the Left before you get to the park.


We ate there for under $40 dollars. My family is two adults, two children, a toddler, and an infant. I think this was pretty good. We have spent over $30 at Chick-Fil-A.


The Hungry Preacher


Comments

  1. I gained 5 pounds just reading about the BBQ. Keep up the great reporting. Have a blessed weekend.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the tomato pie have basil in it? The one at Green River does and I love it! I've made one at home a couple times but M's not a big fan so I don't do it all that often.

    Tomato Pie... makes me anxious for the tomatoes to start coming in (guess they should be planted first right?).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment