A Busy Day Off - Pears

I finally got a chance to do something with this big basket of pears that a couple in my church gave me. I was so excited to be "putting up" something after our porch micro tomato farm failed to produce enough to can. I should have staked the tomatoes but Synod comes at the absolute wrong time and they were too far gone to stake up by the time I got back. They were good though!






What to do with a basket of pears? Here is the yield: five (8oz) Pear Freezer Jam Jars, six (half-pint) Pear Honey Jars, 3 (quart) Pears in light syrup Jars. See the picture above!


I also made a really good and simple Okra Soup. We had it for supper. Both of these came from a cookbook my mother bought me a long time ago called Charleston Entertains: Season by Season. It is a season by season look at some Charleston favorites. I think that Rachel Ray bought it in her $40 a day trip to Charleston. She at least looked at it. The Soup was really good and really simple. Beef Stew meat, okra, onion, can of tomato put in a pot and simmered for 2 hours. (There was a little more to it but you get the idea)


It was a good meal to cook while I slaved away at the pears. My daughter helped me cook a cake of cornbread. We crumbled up the cornbread into the soup, it was very filling!

Alright I am tired, my back hurts, and I am still very full from supper (and 3 Oreos) so I will say good night.

Good Eating!

The Hungry Preacher

Comments

  1. the pears are great!! Thanks for all your hard work...now we can enjoy them for many months to come! yum! Kel

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how many phone calls did you I get during this? 8? 10? :) Don't really mind... but it was sort of funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to draw on your expert knowledge, especially since the rugrats I call my children lost my Ball Canning Guide. Arrrgh!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment