Product of the Week: Canned Anchovies


Alright, I know what you are thinking, what is so special about canned little fish. There is a lot of culinary firepower in those little cans of fish. Personally I always have anchovies in my pantry, but I never ever put them on Pizza.


I remember my first introduction to the Anchovy. It was on pizza. I had heard all these people rave about them on Pizza. One day I said Cheese and Anchovy at the pizza parlor. This is not one of my favorite combinations. So I let anchovies remain outside of my culinary life.


Then one day at the Freshmarket in Greenville, SC. I was talking to a women as we shopped and she picked up several cans of anchovies. I asked her if she put them on Pizza and she said "no." So I said "What do you do with them?" She went on to talk about the joy of an anchovy on a cracker with wine or sometimes just out of the can.


Sometimes you just have to risk the $1.79 and try it. I found that on a cracker or with some cheese was not bad. My real love for anchovies is in the technique of using them in cooking. I have a Mediterranean cookbook that uses anchovies as a first ingredient in a Tuna with Pasta recipe. The Anchovies are mashed up and provide a salty base flavor for the dish that is not fishy. It is awesome!


Mario Batali says that the best anchovies are the salt packed ones but I have never ever seen them. So I uses the oil packed.


Do not be afraid of a little fish, try the anchovy especially in recipes!


Good Eating!


The Hungry Preacher

Comments

  1. I use them to make caesar dressing, I agree they are incredible flavor powerhouses... just don't overdo it!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment