Product of the Week - Parmesan Chesse


Pizza in a box! It was the 1970's Carter and Ford were running for President and convenience was the key to food. I remember that we would have pizza that came in a prepackaged box. In that box would be a small foil envelop containing what looked liked and most of the time tasted like saw dust. This was my first encounter with Parmesan cheese. The stuff that I discovered at the Pizza Inn was not much better. It would not be till much later that I would know the joy of real Parmesan cheese.

Why is it that most people have a green can of sawdust in their refrigerator or pantry? Parmesan cheese is not that hard to grate fresh. I like the Zyliss Cylinder grater for a crowd or just a micro-plane for the family. Parmesan is not that expensive if you will remember you get what you pay for. I will often buy Parmesan cheese produced in Argentina. It is much cheaper and still taste great.

We need to move Parmesan into new areas of our eating. I love it on salad, my mom uses it in Chicken Cordon Bleu, Alton Brown makes Cheese Cracker things with it too.

Alright if you have a green can, go throw it away. Love yourself and your family enough to buy a $5 hunk of goodness that will last for sometime.

Happy Eating,

The Hungry Preacher

Comments