C & W Grill Master's BBQ - Fort Mill


Labor day weekend in the South has little to do with the celebration of organized unions or the end of summer. We Southerner's have a general mistrust of unions and it is hot here on into October. Labor day is more associated with the opening of Dove season and the beginning of College football. It is also the end of the seersucker suits until Easter.


It is a weekend for festivals. We went to the small community of Van Wyck, South Carolina. It is located about 8 or 9 miles north of Lancaster and about 20 miles south of Charlotte, NC. It is the home to Olympic Star Shawn Crawford and is part of the area known as Indianland for the Catawba's who lived there.

This was a small little festival, but a lot of fun. They had silly games for the kids, bands, a go-cart train thing, and the usually crafts and such. The food was what you might have expected. The community was selling BBQ and Hamburgers, the food gypsies in there white carnival trailer were there selling everything from funnel cakes to fried Oreos. However, I was intrigued by the numerous people carrying around giant grilled turkey legs.

I Like eating things that you can not get everyday. My friends often get upset with me because I am so difficult to please on trips. I tell them, "I didn't drive 500 miles to eat at McDonald's or Shoneys!" Now that is not a hard and fast rule, but one that I try to observe as much as possible.

I tracked down the Turkey Legs to the tent and grill of C & W Grill Master's BBQ. They were from nearby Fort Mill. They had a giant turkey leg for $7. It was interesting and I am not sure the entire cooking process. I know that they came to Van Wyck frozen and were finished on the Grill. I had one massive turkey leg and a hand squeezed Lemonade. It was pretty good, I thought it tasted more like pork. I ate a good bit of it and then shared it with my wife and four kids. They had hamburgers and hot dogs before I got my giant turkey leg.

I went back and talked to the owners of C & W Grill Master's BBQ, they even poised for a picture. Stupid Kyle had an equipment error and could not get the brand new camera to operate so I took one with the blackberry. So much for my start at interviewing food people.

In addition to the Turkey they were selling BBQ Chicken Leg Quarters. They also do various types of BBQ, but I would imagine they did not want to be in competition with the local community BBQ sale. They were extremely nice. They do not work out of a restaurant but BBQ on the side. They are available for catering and if you live in Fort Mill or surrounding area you might give them a try: C & W Grill Master's BBQ.


Good Eatings!

The Hungry Preacher!

Comments