Restaurant of the month - The Pita House


The Pita House is a rare combination of everything that makes a great restaurant. First, there is the food. It is Mediterranean and most of it is made from scratch. The Pita bread is baked fresh everyday in-house. They make their own yogurt, their own salads, their own marinades for the meats. What I am trying to say is that they actually cook real food! The exceptions being things like gyro meat which requires a special machine or the pastries which are bought pre-made. The menu is mainly made up of food which was really cooked there in the kitchen. You do realize if you eat at Applebee's or places like that, you can not say the same thing.

The owners are special. Three brothers run the place and they are about as nice a group of guys as you will ever meet. They showed special kindness to our family and mourned with us at the death of my father. They celebrated with us when Kelly and I got married. Most of all they are friends. When I walk in, for close to 20 years now, I am greeted with; "Hello Kyle". OK, so I am seven foot tall and easy to remember. When Colin Martin, an Erskine Classmate and resident of Greenville, came in and they called him by his first name too.

There are regular customers. Any place that is really good is going to have a regular faithful following. I eat there every time I am able to. There are some that eat there every week, many who eat there more than once a week, and I think some that are there almost everyday.

The memories from the Pita house are very special to me. There were the first times we ate there with dad while he was still working as a policeman. Then there was Kelly meeting my family for the first time. Greg Willis crying because we went there instead of McGuffy's (Sorry Greg), Greg did not cry when we had our groom's lunch there on the day of my wedding. Kelly and I had our last date before our marriage at the Pita House. It is loaded with memories. I have a college friend who I saw there several times. I thought it was odd, then I came to find out that he was going to Turkey to be a missionary. There are hundreds of memories like this for us there.

What to eat when you get there? If you are not an adventurous eater, then get the Chicken Salad pita. Homemade Chicken Salad on fresh baked pita with a bag of chips. If you want to try something a bit more Mediterranean, go for the Mediterranean plate. The Falafels are great especially with Hummus; think vegetarian meatballs with a thick bean dipping sauce. I have always liked everything I have had to eat at the Pita House. At night they have different Grilled Kabobs. I like Jerusalem Kabobs which are grilled lamb and beef sausages. Kelly likes the Chicken Kabobs, Mom likes the Lamb Kabobs. It is served over rice pilaf and with a wonderful salad. My daughter really likes to get the half tea and half lemonade to drink.

When you go in you will order at the counter. Look first for the specials they will be on two boards as you walk up. You will then want to look at the photos they have of all their plates. They are on top of the counter. You will order, then pay, and grab a seat. The food comes out quickly. Now this place is very simple, the food does the talking, not fancy decor. It is clean and bright with charming items from around the Middle East hanging on the wall.

In addition to the restaurant there is a small store. They sell Pita bread both fresh or frozen and regular white or whole wheat. There are all sorts of items for sale. They have a good selection of bulk olives and olive oils. There is also several types of cheeses, my favorite is an excellent string cheese.

The Pita House is located in Greenville on Pleasantburg Drive (SC 291) at the intersection of Farris Rd. This is near the Greenville Tech Main Campus. They are open from 11-9 Monday through Saturday. They are closed on Sunday and they do not take any cards, Cash and Check only!

Good Eatings!

The Hungry Preacher!

Comments

  1. Actually M's favorite is the chicken kabob. Jim's favorite is the lamb. My favorite is the Jerusalem Kabob or the gyro plate.

    Yummy goodness... don't forget to try the sauces (the red sauce, while spicy, is DELICIOUS!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate there frequently when I taught at Greenville Tech. The food tastes great. Every item on the menu pleases the taste buds.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment