Trick or Treat Candy


Trick or Treat was a huge part of my life growing up. We would get all the cousins together and go around the mill hill at Arial and to our friends and family around the community between Easley and Pickens. Then came the Tylenol scare and it seems like Trick or Treat dried up. Was it the scare or had I just gotten to the age that I did not care about it anymore. Really it was hard being a six-foot tall, 11 year old. Here is how it would go:

"Aren't you a little old for Trick or Treat?" they would say.
Then I would respond "I am only 11!"
Then they would say "sure you are."
Like I did not know how old I was.

My favorite thing to get was Reese's Cup. Peanut Butter and Chocolate really do go together (Olives and Peanut Butter not so much). I also liked Candy Corn and Circus Peanuts. I wish I could give out something a little less processed. Trader Joe's Belgium Milk Chocolate bars are good, but at $1.79 for 3 that is a little expensive for your average Trick or Treat bucket. Beside the quality of Belgium chocolate is lost on most kids. Maybe I could give out their suckers they are really good, especially the Pomegranate. Yet the joy of a pomegranate sucker is lost on most kids as well.

I had thought about making homemade suckers, in all my spare time. So I do not know what we will do. We actually Trunk or Treat at our Fall Festival. Church folks sit by their car trunks and give out candy at the end of the Fall Festival. While not as much fun as wandering the neighborhood, it is much safer and a lot less walking.

If anyone has any suggestions for homemade trick or treat (trunk or treat in our case) candy let us know. All of you in and around Lancaster come to First ARP for our Fall Festival, October 31. It will begin around 6pm with Hot dogs, games, contests, and all the fun stuff. We are having a pumpkin carving contest this year so have your entries in by 6:30! Trunk or Treat is at the end around 8pm.

Good Eatings and Boo!

The Hungry Preacher

Comments