Some Favorites from Charlotte, NC

We live just on the border of North Carolina and not far outside what is called the Charlotte Metro region. We enjoy the variety of things that we can find in the big city including several interesting places to eat.

Big Ben's English Pub is located on Providence Road in Myers Park. Big Ben has excellent Fish and Chips. No I mean really excellent fish and chips. Even my wife who does not like fish eats their fish and chips. They also have a variety of English pub fare. Bangers and mash, Shepherd's pie, lamb, Yorkshire pudding. They are open for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. We ate here for lunch recently with my whole family, five adults and seven children. The service was friendly and accommodating. The old house has been decorated to give it a pub feel. What we really like is on a pretty day to eat on the patio.

Tin Tin is located on Park Road near CMC-Pineville. This is an Oriental Buffet. Please do not think that I am talking about the Chinese Buffet down the street. Where do we start! First, they have handmade fresh sushi. Let me clarify that even more. There is at least on person making the sushi while you are eating. It is not the best sushi that I have eaten but it is still very good, outstanding for a buffet. The next thing that sets Tin Tin apart is the soups. They have a soup bar where you chose your fillings and a choice between the hot or regular soup base. There are a variety of things that you would find on most normal Chinese buffets, I do not eat any of these at Tin Tin because they have so much more to offer. My mother is a huge fan of their dumplings. They have savory dumpling as well as sweet. My favorite by far is the Butter Shrimp. These are very similar to what you would get at a fish camp by the name of green shrimp. These are excellent. The Thai chicken is also very tasty. One thing that you will notice very quickly is the number of Asian Americans who eat here. That to me is always a good sign.

Sir Edmund Halley's Restaurant and Freehouse is located in the Park Rd Shopping Center. I first discovered this place while I was looking for fish and chips. I like to eat here for lunch they have a nine dollar lunch which includes a tea or coke. The two things that I love are their Fries and gravy and the Chicken with Mashed Potatoes and Creamed Spinach. Yum!

South 21 Drive-in is located on Independence just down from the Bojangles Arena, or whatever they are calling it now. I remember hearing about this little Drive-in in 1996 while working as a Temp in Charlotte. Honestly, we do not get over to Independence a whole lot during our normal travels in and around Charlotte. I made a special trip because I saw it on Feasting on Asphalt with Alton Brown. It was what I thought it would be: Greek Fast Food. I have written about these small Greek family owned short-order restaurants. The South 21 was a great example of this type of cooking. We all had Cheeseburgers with Fries, we split an order of onion rings. My 3 year old said very clearly and enthusiastically, "These are very good!" He was right. There are times in this life we just have to have a good Cheeseburger and fries. The Fast food places just are not the same. The sweet tea at South 21 was perfect. It has a good tea flavor; not too strong or too weak. It was also sweetened to perfection. Not at all sugary sweet like coke but enough to be pleasantly sweet. A great meal all the way around. Oh yeah! It is a true drive-in so they take your order over a vintage speaker and you eat in the car. It was fun!

Well those are some of my recommendations for Charlotte. If you are in the Queen City and are looking for a place to eat give one of them a try.

Good Eating!

The Hungry Preacher

Comments

  1. I would recommend eating at Vivace ( http://www.vivacecharlotte.com/ ) in Midtown, Charlotte, NC. This restaurant belongs to Urban Food Group (UFG) who is known for providing excellent customer service, authentic italian cuisine & varity of Italian wines.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment