A Pita House Story

Having endured sickness and the constant danger of a family around me with a stomach bug, you would think that I would avoid anything dealing with food. In fact most of my food at the end of last week was rather bland, just in case. Being sick is really no fun, but I was able to catch up on some Food Network Shows (Oh how I miss Mario!). One thing that I heard over and over again was this idea of making food with love. I am really about tired of the phrase. I have made food with love before. In college I cooked a meal for my now wife that was made with love, I have made her Chocolate Truffles, and several meals that were special for her over the years. I have bake cookies and such for friends and family; all in love.

What I object to are these cooks who are supposedly cooking with love and then charge outrages prices. I do not know if I am right about this or not it is 1:32AM and I can not sleep so I may be a bit cranky. It is not about the love as much is it is about the money. I guess I could be wrong.

I think about the Pita House boys, I don't think I would say they cook with love. Although they do love and care for their customers. I think that they would fall more into the Gordon Ramsey idea of "Good Honest food". I have been eating at the Pita House for 20 years and I can honestly say that I have never had a bad meal there. The consistency has always been excellent and the quality top notch.

I had a meeting in Greenville today or I guess now yesterday. My wife and I were able to go on a real date by ourselves. We decided to go to the Pita House. It was so much fun to go back and eat with it being just the two of us. We had our last date before we got married at the Pita House. It was almost weird to sit on the side with the small tables. I enjoyed a lovely plate of Jerusalem Kabobs over Rice Pilaf. Kelly ate most of my salad which was fine as she shared her Falafels and Hummos.

I find myself as I grow older still looking for new adventures in eating. Yet, at the same time, I am having a stronger longing to return to the old favorites. To places that have special meaning to me. The Pita House is such a place. My late father was the one who introduced our family to the place. It was were Kelly ate with my family for the first time. I have fond memories of the owners trying to help me with my Hebrew for seminary (I was hopeless).

I hope that maybe you have some places that you can go that bring back memories and are special to you. Maybe you should make a special effort to get back soon.

Good Eatings!

The Hungry (and Sleepy) Preacher

Comments

  1. Actually you are wrong. It was M that went there the very first time... with Granny if you can believe it. Then about a week or so later she and I and I think Carole went back and actually ate a meal. I was a Jr in HighSchool... and had on my necklace from Judy Roper that she'd gotten in S.Arabia that had my name written in Arabic... I had it on backwards and Ziad, in his inimitable style, called me by name and informed me my necklace was on backwards... I never wore that necklace again. Seriously.

    Anyway, Dad started going there after that. But M was the one that insisted on investigating it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said that wrong, my first time there was with dad at least that is my first memory of the Pita House.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment