Short Sugar's - Reidsville, NC

At the end of our vacation last Summer to Virginia and DC. We decided to get off the parking lot that is known as I-95 South and cut through to US 29. This took us through the beautiful countryside of Virginia.

We had thought about stopping in Charlottesville on the way home, but we both got there a little early for dinner and this happened to be the day of the deadly white supremacy protested that gained national attention. We got through there quickly.

Looking ahead to see where US 29 would take us, I saw we would go through Reidsville, NC. This is the hometown of Sammy Macy who I have worked with in the Moriah Basketball league for a decade. I called him up and told him we were going to be in Reidsville and asked him where do we need to eat. He did not even hesitate. He said go to Short Sugar's. 

Now many of you have been on these family vacations. We had seen all of Williamsburg, gone to a Nationals game, the National Zoo, hiked uphill for a mile to go to a Chick-fil-a, etc, etc. We were hungry, tired, and ready to get home. It was tempting to just grab some fast food and keep on going. I am glad we stopped.

It has that hometown feel to it. I think it is the place you come to love because the food is good, but after a couple of times in they probably would know your name. This is not fine dinning. It was BBQ and short order. It is what you would expect the place to be.

Short Sugar's has been in operation since 1949 and it still has that old style restaurant fell to it. It still feels homey and comfortable.

We had a variety of things off the menu. My wife had the burger which is almost always her first choice (I think she had the burger). The Kids had a variety of things from fish to ribs. I had the BBQ. You all know that I am a central South Carolina mustard-vingar guy. But this was good. I have not found much BBQ that I didn't like. If you find yourself fleeing the interstate and in Reidsville, NC. Then give Short's Sugar's a try.






Comments